1/24/2006

yaki-yimo

yakiyimo

yaki (japanese)- 焼き(japanese)- 烧(chinese)- toast(english)
yimo (japanese)- いも(japanese)- 红薯(chinese) - sweet potato(english)

What a complicated blogging system!

In fact, I am not sure what's the name of this sweet potato seller, I mean, in english. vendor? stallman? or packman, peddler from dictionary?

Since it's english writing time(hoho... btw, google ads of my blogspot for today is "english writing software for chinese"! I am really interested in while struggling hard not to click into it. Because someone got his google ads account banned, in suspecion of "tricky click" from himself.). OK, since it's english writing time, I decide to get the right answer.

Asking JHui, he got fainted, after woke up, he told me the name is "street seller".
supported by google, 20thousand related results. ^_^.
Asking Dahuang ,he told me: toasted-sweet potato vendor. and found me a sentence as an example!!

OK, They are scientists and I am a reporter....well, I think street seller is more lively... Or it is because I like those daily words. To me, the simpler the better.

If some native english speaker happens to see this post, please take the trouble commenting... I will appreciate it.....^_^

I can see this yaki-yimo san every morning when I walking out of the 東大前(TO-DAI-MAE, yes, I typed in japanese not chinese) station. Long before, I have decided to take a photo for him, but everytime I got too shy..... Today, I began to prepare even when I was still in the train: Taking out the mobile phone, adjusting the lighten and focus... when I passed by him, took this pic, quickly.. then escaped.

It's a pitty the face of the seller(O~~~ ba san...) is not included. yes.. I was nervous, and pretended he would not see me since I coundnot see him.. ostrich.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyway, being one of the referred scientists, i would give some peer comments.

First, i love sweet potato so much, the gift of the Indians which travelled such a long way over the San Andres mountain, across the Pacific ocean to the Philippine islands, and at last smuggled to China to feed and create millions of people there magically. It is a REAL legend, as you know, because it is preserved in the deep memories of the once or still poor Chinese people, such as me.

So the first time i ran into a piece of sweet patato in Japan, i admit, some kind of nostalgia arosed inside me. But gosh, the sweet patato is badly cooked, not the anticipated way which is common in rurual as well as cosmopolitan China. Sad, really, you can imagine that. Maybe the Japanese is not so imaginative to serve such ooishi food, i thought.

But i am wrong, upon reading the blog of my friend, midi, the versatile and well-informed scientist working in Tokyo. She found the REAL sweet potato! And in the similar way of selling!

This is great news, at least for my part, since that means one day I might be able to find a REAL sweet patato in Japan, maybe in the near future, the coming Spring Festival...

midi said...

科研女青年迷笛羞愧自杀中。。。。。
嗯,大黄告诉我怎么练习英文~~~~~:)作为交换我请你吃yaki-yimo....我要邀请另一个scientist 来参与讨论。